Sunday, December 16, 2007

Me Talk Pretty One day

I want to say so many thanks to everyone who has emailed, texted or called saying "I know you can't call me back, but..how's your voice?"

Better! And such support (see above) is part of why, I'm sure.

But it's been maddeningly slow for a singer. Today is 24 days since I got sick, and 19 days since I woke up unexpectedly - silent.

On about day 7 I could make a couple hooting sounds.

By day 10 I could speak and be understood - barely. Every other word escaped behind the rasp or the squeak.

By day 14 I could be understood, unless I was trying to express sarcasm. You'd be surprised how much of what's BEHIND what you say is off limits when you have only an octave range. And I could access that octave only if I sang on "oooo" and slid carefully around. Not ideal for normal conversation.

Day 19 - today- I still sound like I have a cold, but I have about 2 1/2 octaves, and some of it even has that "forment" singers are always talking about. I actually hear overtones! Whew! It still feels a bit "foggy" and I'm missing my top octave or so, but with steady progress each day, I'm satisfied.

And I still have the steroids in hand if I feel I need them.

I've never lost my voice before. I keep wondering if it's going to be "reborn." I'll come back a mezzo. Or I'll be so glad to have it back it'll constitute a mystical religious experience, and I'll be a spirited dynamo who never tires of vocalizing. Maybe it's like re-booting a computer - my voice is going to come back to me - reformatted somehow.

In any case I'm glad to have what i have of it back.

3 comments:

Earl Cook said...

Not the greatest thing to emulate...but there is a handy aspect to the rebooting concept. :)

I wonder if I can have my hard drive reformatted and only return the information to it that I want in there?

Glad you are improving. I've been checking in daily to see the latest updates.

*hugs*

eral

Niki Naeve said...

But how would you decide which information you want to come back with your drive?

If you left out all unpleasantness, for example,I wonder if you'd come back:

- deluded
- unempathetic
- naive (see "deluded")
- confused (see "mentally ill")
- just plain stupid

Who knows what paths have been woven for us and which we also spin, ourselves? I don't mind a little tweak here and there, but I prefer to do my most own programming.

Niki

Earl Cook said...

I was thinking of leaving out things like all knowledge relating to Paris Hilton and any other "car wreck" celebutragedy.

I'm resigned to remembering the damn "growth experiences," but must we add that insult to injury? ;)